Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dr. Ruthless - Self Defence



When I saw the video, I was like whoa! But not really in a good way.

The concept and objective of Dr. Ruthless aka Melissa Soalt is great, I wholly support the idea of women fending for themselves.

However, one thing keeps coming to my mind while watching the videos. The thugs seems to be making Dr. Ruthless look good.

Again, position, most of the videos place the attacker in a very "suitable" position to be counter-attacked.

Okay, it may be an idiot first time attacker, but don't you think most criminals would have gone through the run of the mill kicks, scratch, punches...etc?

I find something disturbing about all these, if a criminal wants to take you down, he can and will! Nothing will stop a criminal, yelling of "no" will not help.

Am I saying, Dr Ruthless is a useless program based on the Youtube video? No, of course not!

It can build confidence to react in situations.

It can build awareness. Awareness of dangers lurking.

It can build muscle memory where your brain and muscles act by instinct rather than panic and freezing.

Most of the "moves" in the video? In my opinion, the first two moves are great, kick, punch, elbow...then RUN AWAY...

DO NOT HANG AROUND to complete the techniques.

For a wake up call, watch this again: Click Here

I felt somewhat relieved when I read her advice to women:

4 pillars of safety:

PILLAR ONE: Knowledge of how criminals operate.

PILLAR TWO: Prevention strategies to avoid, deter and escape would-be victimizers.

PILLAR THREE: Physical defense and the use of weapons.

PILLAR FOUR: Survival mind set and fighting spirit.

Read the full message here.

Dr. Ruthless webpage here.

No comments:

Post a Comment